Pumpkin (Cucurbita) is a herbaceous plant. The Cucurbitaceae family has a number of typical characteristics: a bright skin color and a strong, pleasant aroma. There are a large number of popular varieties in the world, like the common pumpkin, and their relevance directly depends on the region and climate.
Pumpkin contains almost all trace elements and vitamins needed by the body.
Pumpkin is one of the most controversial fruits. He is either loved or categorically not recognized. “Vesti” found out how pumpkin is useful and to whom it will help.
Pumpkin is a plant with creeping stems, the fruits are usually orange, but other skin colors are also found. The benefits of pumpkin for men and women are undeniable, and children love this vegetable for its sweet taste. Even experienced gardeners do not always know about the real value of fruits and pumpkin seeds. Let’s figure out where the plant came from, what are the benefits and harms of pumpkin for the body, storage and use.
What vitamins are in pumpkin
vitamins in pumpkin
Pumpkin: benefits for women and men
Pumpkin is a real storehouse of nutrients and vitamins. The product, like watermelon, is almost 90% water, but pumpkin contains trace elements and vitamins in large quantities. Among them:
- A is a fat-soluble vitamin, which is part of a group of molecules with a similar structure;
- C – one of the most popular and well-known in the list of useful substances needed by a person;
- E – it is called the “vitamin of youth” for its ability to restore and rejuvenate body cells;
- K – necessary for the synthesis of proteins, provides a normal level of blood coagulation;
- T – one of the least studied vitamins, supports human immunity;
- PP – participates in many redox reactions, the formation of enzymes and the metabolism of lipids and carbohydrates in living cells;
- B1 – vitamin of joy and good spirits;
- B2 – flavin – a natural pigment;
- B5 – light yellow oily liquid;
- B6 – promotes proper metabolism;
Energy value and composition
Pumpkin is a healthy and tasty vegetable that is eaten in a wide variety of forms. Due to its chemical composition, pumpkin is extremely popular among those who are on a diet or just adhere to proper nutrition, and for athletes this vegetable is just a godsend.
The calorie content of pumpkin depends on how it is prepared. For example, in the m product there are 20 kcal, in the baked one a little more – 22 kcal. For 100 grams of product, there are 1 g of proteins, 0.1 g of fats and 4.4 g of carbohydrates, everything else is water.
Useful properties of pumpkin
The vegetable has a positive effect on all internal organs, the central nervous system, and blood vessels. So, the positive properties of pumpkin treatment:
- cleanse the body of various toxic substances and slag, in general, remove garbage;
- strengthen the immune system – they fill the body’s need for vitamins and trace elements, increasing its ability to resist pests;
- normalize the water-salt balance;
- increases hemoglobin – there is a lot of iron in the products, pumpkin dishes are used for the prevention and
- complex treatment of iron deficiency anemia;
- responsible for the stabilization of metabolism – the metabolism in the human body;
- help the work of the heart – due to the content of iron, pumpkin strengthens blood vessels and helps reduce swelling;
- lower blood pressure, pumpkin seeds are especially good in this regard;
- improve tissue structures, increase their elasticity;
- help with stress and insomnia. The sedative effect of pumpkin, when used regularly, cures insomnia, improves sleep.